After fielding many requests from players, coaches and parents the JTMD launched a trial team play concept in ’14 and received great feedback and very positive results with our software capabilities.
In 2015 the JTMD plans to add 20-30 high school teams to the program and potentially more based on availability at facilities across the state. Our research has proven that in most cases only 25% of each high school team has players that participate in summer golf events. The remaining 75% of players attribute their lack of participation to the limited number of local playing opportunities, high costs and busy summer schedules.
The goal of the JTMD High School Team Matches in ’15 and beyond is to ensure that ALL players from every team be afforded at least 2 local summer events for them to participate.
Just of few of the highlighted benefits for Players and Coaches …
- Opportunity to test and enhance your game in relaxed formatted competition
- Team building – extra time with teammates in the offseason
- Do not necessarily have to be an official high school team member to participate
- Prove to your coaches your willingness to improve and compete
- Access to the state’s finest playing facilities during the peak season
- Interaction and discounted lessons available from supporting PGA instructors
- Encourage players for the opportunity to improve their skills in the offseason
- Team building – teammates spending additional time without the responsibility to coordinate
- Spectate and evaluate from afar – let the certified PGA/JTMD coordinators run events and watch the outcomes in person or online
- NOT REQUIRED and in some cases not permitted to be in attendance with the “team members” (please refer to your local regulations)
- Interaction and access to PGA Professionals and their respective facilities
Team Match Format
- 9-Hole Best Ball (advanced players may play 18 holes, but only the front 9 is “team” formatted)
- 2-3 Players – SINGLE Best Ball Gross Score combined counts as the team score
- 4-6 Players – TWO Best Ball Gross Score = team score
- 7-9 Players – THREE Best Ball Gross Score = team score
- 10-14 Players – FOUR Best Ball Gross Score = team score
- 15-20 Players – FIVE Best Ball Gross Score = team score
- Boys & Girls 13-18yrs old are eligible (only need to be an active or incoming student, not necessarily a current team member)
- All players play from the designated typically shortened tees (Boys 2500-2750 yds / Girls 2000-2250). The shortened course concept is to encourage advanced players to “go low” and afford more developmental players a better opportunity to contribute towards team score.
- Each team should assign one team captain or parent who reports as the liaison to JTMD Officials and/or Coordinators.
Additional information regarding cost, venues and how to register your team is scheduled to be released in the coming weeks and no later than February 1st.
Special thanks to all the supporting Coaches, PGA Members & Facilities, Parents and Players who have helped inspire this new program and are committed to helping it grow in years to come!